Monday, July 21, 2008

CASA Community Member of the Week

Name: Marianne C.

Role: Friends of CASA Board Chair & CASA Volunteer

Picture: Marianne C. with husband, Dan


What interested you about the CASA program?

That it was for children in the county in a vulnerable situation. It seems there is always an awful story in the news about foster children being further abused, and the CASA program is a way to directly help these children.


Tell us a little bit about your previous Work and/or Volunteer Experience and/or Education:

20 years as a consultant, managing large systems integration projects. Switched to the nonprofit sector in 2005 when I joined Nonprofit Enterprise at Work. Currently work as a NEW board advisor for nonprofits. I have volunteered primarily in my children’s schools and for church organizations. I’m currently a youth counselor at First United Methodist Church in Ann Arbor.


Hobbies/Fun Fact(s) about Yourself:

I love to read and garden. I’m perfectly happy digging weeds for hours at a time.


What is your favorite quote of all time?

“The distance is nothing. It is only the first step that is difficult.”
- Madame du Deffand, French intellectual and writer, 16th century.


How did you hear about the CASA Program?

I had an assistant who was a graduate student at the University of Michigan School of Social Work, and she had an internship at the Toledo CASA program. I also read about the Washtenaw CASA program in an Ann Arbor News profile of Ashwin Patel.

No comments: