Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Look Forward

Contributed by: Nancy Kelley, 2009 Board Chair

This is my first post on the CASA blog as Board Chair for Friends of CASA - an organization I am fully committed to because of it's mission to help abused and neglected children right here in Washtenaw County. That commitment to our local kids, the kids living right here in my community, attending my neighborhood schools etc. - the same kids sitting in our county family court system wishing for someone to tell their story, plead their case or simply to "know" what they think...that's why I chose this organization many years ago and am thrilled to be in the position I am for 2009, Board Chair.

When I look forward into 2009, I see more of the wonderful progress we've made in the last two years under the helm of Marianne Clauw. Thank you Marianne for your outstanding service to Friends of CASA.

Our 2009 board of directors is strongly committed to our mission and in addition, we are diverse enough to strongly represent those we are striving to serve. Our number of volunteers, our financial supporters and our public awareness is growing each year and I feel confident that these trends will continue in 2009. In growing these areas, our ability to serve more children (our ultimate goal) becomes more attainable. Every step counts, small or big.

I'm confident that the biggest impact on our progress in 2009 will be the hiring of Donna Huntsman as our Executive Director, starting February 3rd. Donna brings with her the experience and commitment we need to grow an organization of our size. Her enthusiasm, positive attitude and her simple "Cheers" at the end of her emails contributes to an energetic and upbeat office atmosphere. We are thrilled to have her on the Friends of CASA team.

In my heart and in my head, I feel that 2009 will be a fantastic year for the CASA program. I say that knowing that we are surrounded by big challenges in our economy, in our communities and even in our own homes and offices. Still, when I am reminded of the challenges these children have faced on a daily basis, often for most of their lives, I am given the perspective I need to face the challenges in my own life. I only hope that I have a portion of the resiliency and strength I see in these children. They deserve our support. I'm committed to giving it to them. I hope you join me in continuing to serve them and give them the "voice" they deserve.

No comments: