Monday, January 14, 2008

CASA Community Member of the Week


Name: Sade B.

Role: Friends of CASA Board Member

What interested you about the CASA Program?

I grew up in the Michigan foster care system. My childhood experiences in the system has uniquely shaped my perspective on the sensitive issues that most foster children encounter. I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate working with disadvantaged youth, so when I heard about the CASA program, I wanted to find out how I could get involved.

Tell us a little bit about your current and previous work and/or volunteer experience and/or education.

I am currently a senior at the University of Michigan. I am pursuing a dual Bachelors of Arts in English and Sociology, with a sub-concentration in Social Inequality. Over the years, I have had the opportunity to volunteer with several community organizations in the Ann Arbor/Detroit area. However, one of the most rewarding volunteer experiences took placed when I volunteered at Marvin L. Winans Academy for the Fine and Performing Arts in the fall of 2006.

Hobbies/Fun Fact(s) about Yourself:

I attend Second Baptist Church of Ann Arbor and I sing in one of the choirs. I am not a singer at all, but I enjoy praising God in any way that I can. I also love to shop! I am a pretty big fan of James Patterson. He is the best American suspense writer of all time.

What is your favorite quote of all time?

"Change began with the Action of One."

I am not sure who said it, but I love it!

How did you hear about the CASA Program?

I worked at the Non-Profit Enterprises at Work (NEW) during the summer of 2007. My co-workers were discussing the state of foster care in Michigan. I offered some of my insights about the subject and my co-worker told me about Friends of CASA and a bit about CASA, and the rest is history!
___________________________________________________________

Do you have a question and/or a comment regarding this profile? Please click on the "Comments" link below this post. Thank you!

No comments: