Tuesday, January 29, 2008

CASA Community Member of the Week


Name: Ava A.

Role: Coordinator of the Washtenaw County Trial Court CASA Program


What interested you about the CASA Program?

The potential to intervene with children and stop the cycle of abuse and neglect that occurs in families over generations. It was also an opportunity to develop some new skills in administration of a Social Work program.


Tell us a little bit about your previous Work and/or Volunteer Experience and/or Education.


Bachelor's and Master's in Social Work from the University of Michigan.

I worked as a medical social worker at Mott Children's Hospital, University of Michigan Health System for many years. I did adult medical social work for a dialysis company and did Substance Abuse Therapy with women prisoners at Camp Brighton, a minimum security facility for women which has now been closed down.

I was also a therapist at The Home of New Vision, a residential treatment program in Ann Arbor for women coming from jail for substance abuse-related crimes. Believe it or not, my work with women with substance abuse issues, especially in the prison system, was some of the most rewarding I've done.


Hobbies/Fun Fact(s) about Yourself:


I'm an avid dance fan (ballet and jazz) and studied dance in my 20's and 30's (which is now a while ago!). I also love to read and exercise.

A fun fact about me is that I was at Woodstock!


What is your favorite quote of all time?


I don't know if it's my favorite of ALL time, but here's one I like:

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi


How did you hear about the CASA Program?


I actually had not heard about it before I was approached by the director of the Juvenile Court, Linda Edwards Brown, who was a friend of mine, about the court's desire to develop and grow their CASA Program. I applied for the position of volunteer coordinator and the rest is history!

No comments: